Sunday, March 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Winter

Winter seems mostly behind us (knock on wood!).  The snow is all melted from our yard today, and as I was taking our family dog for a walk this afternoon, lots of birds were chirping and singing in the drizzling rain. With the air getting sweeter and the sun shining brighter by the day, I can’t help but impatiently await spring’s arrival.

But as this winter comes to a close, I can’t help but feel a little melancholy. Winter, after all, holds its own special memories of days spent with my kids. Races through the snow, snowball fights, sledding, snowmen, snow angels, and then hot chocolate afterwards to warm us again from head to toe…I just adore moments like these!

I taught my 5-year-old daughter how to make a proper snowball this year--only to have her fling that same snowball right into the side of my face. My 7-year-old son finally grew brave enough this winter to sled on his own. And since we moved into our new home, we got to explore the backyard together, trying to find the perfect spots for sledding. I ended up cracking a sled and getting stuck under a bush. Yes, this winter was full of fun and amazing surprises, and in a way, I wish it didn’t have to end.

As my family and I prepare for spring, I know our winter memories will remain close to our hearts long after the last snowflake melts. And I know we’ll be giggling for years to come about how Mommy tried to make a sled path and managed to get eaten by a bush (as my kids’ call it). All things must come to an end, no matter how wonderful they are. However, I hope we have just as many memorable moments this spring…and during the many more seasons to come!

2 comments:

  1. We have had a really mild winter this year, and for that I am grateful. We don't seem to get the nice fluffy snowfalls anymore, they come to us in the form of deadly ice storms that take out gorgeous trees and make driving impossible. Maybe if I had your lovely snow I would feel differently about it, but alas, Oklahoma is not noted for its temperate climate! :)

    I came from AtoZ--looking forward to the challenge and reading your posts!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in upstate New York and love and cherish my winter memories now that I am living in Florida. My oldest doesn't remember the snow (she was three when we moved) and my youngest has never seen it - although once a few years ago we did get a flurry in north east Florida. I would move back north in a heartbeat if it was feasible!

    ReplyDelete