Friday, March 15, 2013

When My Kids Get Sick

I absolutely hate being sick, but what I hate more is my kids getting sick. Luckily, my son and daughter haven’t inherited my poor immune system. I remember how miserable I was as a child during periods when I was sick more often than well. Still, I wish my kids never got sick. It breaks my heart every time!

This week both of my children came down with a cold. I have a touch of it, but I’m mainly miserable because I can see how bad they feel. No, it’s nothing serious, just your normal annoying cold. But what I wouldn’t give to take their sickness away right now.

Their little runny noses, nasally voices, and coughs bring out the mother hen in me. Lots of fluids, even more rest, and homemade chicken noodle soup—that’s what Mommy prescribes. They get a little grumpy at me with my smothering mothering sometimes. I guess I can over do it now and then. But hopefully one day they will see that I’m only pushy and obnoxious because I care and worry.

It is times like this that remind me of just how much my children mean to me. And then I am reminded that I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if anything ever happened to them. Most of the time, I’m a laidback mom. I don’t usually get too paranoid, although there are certain rules my kids are NEVER allowed to break (i.e., helmets must be worn with bikes).

Still, I know there is a protective side of me that would go berserk if anyone or anything threatened my kids. They really are my world. They are a big part of my existence. I realize now that I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I never had them. They bring out all the best things in me and make me constantly desire to be better. There really isn’t anything I would do to protect and provide for my son and daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment