Friday, April 5, 2013

E: Ear-Piercing Screams and Eerie Noises

Being a mom is one of the greatest blessings in life. However, kids being the mischievous, energy-filled beings that they are, parenting can also get pretty strange, too. My 7-year-old son has always been on the quiet and laidback side. Of course, he has had his share of temper tantrums and fits of loud, joyful laughter. Still, nothing ever prepared me for my 5-year-old daughter.

Since I can remember, she has been successfully scaring me for years. With her random ear-piercing screams and sounds like she is choking, possessed, dying, or all the above, she keeps me on my toes. From about 9 months, she has enjoyed exploring the range of her voice…much to my heart’s protest!

I remember the first time she imitated choking. My cat had been dealing with a bad bout of hairballs that morning. And while I was busy tending to my poor kitty, I didn’t notice how enthralled she was with the whole situation. That evening we were all at the dinner table. My daughter was sitting in her high chair and my son was sitting on the other side of me in his booster seat. I had just given my daughter her food and turned to hand my son his plate when my daughter started making this heart-stopping sound like she was chocking and couldn’t breathe!

Frantic, I took her out her highchair to attempt to get whatever was chocking her out of her throat…and she suddenly burst out giggling like it was the most hilarious thing in the world. Then, she started making the noise again, smiling the whole time! I really thought that I was going to have a heart attack when I thought she was chocking, so I didn’t find her little performance funny at all! But she was only a baby, so what could I do?

Now that she is older, she understands better that making chocking noises is wrong. But I swear that I live in a haunted house with all the crazy screams and noises that come out of her mouth at times! I’m not easily frightened, but every now and then, my little princess comes up with a new sound effect or voice that scares the daylights out of me! Maybe one day she will outgrow this fascination and quit scaring me. Or perhaps, she find something useful for her talents and give me some rest.

Have your children ever terrified you with some of their noises or screams?

2 comments:

  1. Nope, my kids were perfectly quiet, never caused any problems.

    Bwaahahahahahaha! That's a total lie.
    I don't remember screaming so much as I remember incessant truck noises and child vanishing acts.
    Then there the was the swimming out to sea at age 3...and..oh well I could go on forever. Things get nicer and quieter-kinda sorta- when they grow older. Its a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I can't remember my kids terrifying me with noises that weren't really called for, at least from the kids' point of view. We have had our share of blood curdling screams, but usually there was some sort of injury involved, but never anything extemely bloody or major. Your daughter sounds like she's quite the character.

    ReplyDelete